Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Nobody's going to read this, most likely, but it needs to be said anyway. Long time coming, at any rate.

So. The other day (as in, last month) I saw Werner Herzog's Stroszek, a film that gets better every time I think about it. Stroszek is the kind of film whose impact cannot be judged while it unspools in front of you but only in the space that occurs from the moment you finish watching it to the moment you finish reflecting upon it. It famously ends on a shot of a chicken that has been trained to dance to a rudimentary tune whenever someone drops a coin in a slot. The metaphor seems obvious (the best summation I've read, as usual, comes from Roger Ebert, who writes "A force we cannot comprehend puts some money in the slot, and we dance until the money runs out"), yet it avoids didacticism through the force of its poetic potency. It has stuck with me like few movies have, and here's why.

There are a lot of times through the past couple of years that I've felt like that chicken, and folks, I need to stop dancing. I work too much, I drink too much, I watch too much and I expect too much. This was all easy back when I was pulling forty-five hours a week and scribbling whatever came to mind, but as both my responsibilities and my personal standards have risen, I find I can't maintain this little corner any longer. Most nights, it becomes a choice between watching and writing. With my backlog at over 500 films now, I don't want to make that choice. One of the two must fall. So, here it is. We're pulling down the shutters for good. Thanks for having me.

8 Comments:

Blogger jahs34 said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! it was a good run tho, thanks for having us, even let me write a few guest reviews, and i wish you success in whatever happened next, will you keep writing on Halo 17?

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just A minute
Hold on where are you going? I only found this site for the first time today....i am trying to become a film director by watching the bonus tracks and director commentaries. I am going to need you to keep me real when I start to make movies....don't gooooooooooo not now, just wait a little longer...

Yours Angelo Valentino

4:49 PM  
Blogger Pacze Moj said...

I'll miss your writing.

You were already around when I was just starting out online. Makes me a bit nostalgic...

:)

I wish you good luck in your off-line world, and I'm glad to hear that, even though I won't be in on it anymore, the cinematic education of Steven Carlson will continue.

You'll be the cinema's chicken yet.

There's no escape!

5:38 PM  
Blogger James said...

Steve, I've always derived enormous pleasure from your reviews, and have often picked them apart myself when I'm trying to write one of my own. Should you permanently bow out of the scene, it's everyone else's loss.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Steve C. said...

Jose: I'm presumably still writing for Halo-17. They're going through a rough patch too.

Pacze: I really can't believe how long I've been hacking away at this. You're right, there is no escape. :-)

James: Thanks, man. Always appreciated.

Angelo: Not sure what help I can offer you... but if you're still here, I'm continuing elsewhere.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous dizi izle said...

Thanks for website fine good post

10:34 AM  
Anonymous yabancı film izle said...

güzel bir site olmuş sagol

10:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Writing the Entire body of the Essay - this is, of program, the meat of custom writing service essay writing, if you will. It will be so significantly less difficult and more quickly (almost certainly two times as quick) when you know your matter.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home