Monday, May 02, 2005

Wicker Park (2004)

Hi, my name is Paul McGuigan. I have directed a movie called Wicker Park that I hope you will take the time to watch. It is about two very creepy people. The film watches these two creepy people as they try and navigate the straits of unrequited love. I do an interesting thing with this film. I make it look like it will be a thriller about these two creepy people and their unhealthy attachments but then I shift gears and make it into a love story after all. I think that this tactic is very clever even though the script does not really redeem either of the two creepy people nor does it attempt to reconcile them with the other normal people in their lives. I must admit that I do not think the script is very good but it is not my fault as I did not write it. My films usually have very good acting in them but this film does not although it is through no fault of my own. It is not my fault if Josh Hartnett is miscast as a creepy moping stalker who is supposed to be sympathetic, and it is not my fault if Diane Kruger exhibits all the talent of a potted fern, and it is not my fault if Rose Byrne overplays her character's creepiness so that the plot makes little sense unless you give Hartnett a lot of leeway (he is, after all, creepy himself). None of that is my fault because I recognize the limitations of my actors and the limitations of the script and thus I attempt to distract the audience with my exciting and stylish direction. I think that I have directed this film very well. I think this may be the best direction I have ever attempted. It is very stylish and restless. I use all the stylistic tricks in the book like wipes and dissolves and Dutch angles and flashbacks and I think I even use some split-screen. I think that my direction is very clever much like my attempts to make the script work. In no way do I think that I am overcompensating and neither do I think that such visual overkill will choke the life out of my film which by the way isn't very interesting as the lead character is creepy and underdeveloped and generally not likeable which makes the sappy happy ending seem cheap and forced. But then that is what the film critics will say and what do film critics know anyway. I think that you will enjoy my movie very much.

Grade: D+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home