Monday, May 30, 2005

The Searchers (1956)

So, um, what's the big deal? John Ford's direction is pretty much textbook-gorgeous, I'll give you that. But the story ain't that hot. It's a draggy and badly paced affair, riddled with poor comic relief and a useless subplot involving the relationship status of John Wayne's nephew. And about John Wayne... this would be my first John Wayne film ever, believe it or not. So somehow I'm not surprised that I'm not terribly impressed with his acting skills. He strikes me the same way Marilyn Monroe does -- more important for his iconic status than any actual (lack of?) talent. There are some good moments in the second half, and I guess I have to admire the film for making a pass at more shaded characterization than one usually finds in B-oaters. But at this point in time, Anthony Mann and Budd Boetticher were already making Westerns that were far more emotionally and narratively complex than this. So again, what's the big deal?

Grade: C+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home