Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Blowup (1966)

This is the first Antonioni I've seen in full (I slept through most of L'Avventura), and can I say that his reputation led me to expect something that I didn't get here? I'll admit, I was dreading something that was somber, dated and boring as ass. So this spry and involving tale caught me off-guard. It's thoughtful without being logy, plus it's quite tense, with the fact that the plot adds up to zero doing not a thing to harm the effect the film has. (I experienced this quite recently with another, newer film as well, and I'll write about that one in the next day or two.) And it's about as close to visually perfect as a film can get, so it's got that going for it too. Yeah, I'm impressed.

Grade: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home