Tuesday, March 02, 2004

The Passion of the Christ (2004)

I could talk about the oft-discussed violence quotient (so where exactly is the line between reverence and sadism, Mel?), or I could talk about whether or not the film is anti-Semitic (probably not intentionally, but the Jews don't come out smelling like roses), or I could talk about whether or not the Aramaic was really a good idea (historically accurate, yes, but the actors have a hell of a time with it)... but then, what does any of that really matter? Let's be honest -- this film was made with a specific audience in mind. If you believe that Jesus died for your sins, then you'll probably get something out of this. If you remain skeptical as I do, this movie isn't going to change your mind. It's basically a cinematic revival meeting. You already know if you're going to see it or skip it. You don't need me to tell you anything.

Grade: C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home