Wednesday, April 17, 2002

Impostor (2002)

[A note of interest before I begin: The bootleg I viewed appears to have been from a prerelease version of the film, probably one that slipped out while it was stuck in Dimension-shelf limbo. It's the R-rated cut that was submitted way back in 2000, if I'm not mistaken. I'd have to guess that it differs from the theatrical version by some slightly more graphic violence and about five more F-bombs. This is the second time this has happened to me (the first being Kate and Leopold: The Incest Version), and I have to say, it's pretty amusing. It's like a bootleg Easter egg hunt.]

Well, as far as first-release-of-the-year films go, this ain't TOO bad. I suppose. It starts off pretty well, at least. Falls apart after a half hour though, a victim of the perils of expanding a 40-minute omnibus segment into a full-length feature. Myriad plot holes and rampant stupidity serve as constant reminders that professional hack-job-thriller director Gary Fleder is behind the camera, while the easily guessable "surprise" ending point to Ehren Kruger's script involvement. (What David Twohy actually did on this film, I have no idea.) Is Gary Sinise planning on getting back to real acting any day soon?

Grade: C