Wednesday, March 13, 2002

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

Well, lift my shirt and rub my belly with a spatula -- I do like it! Given my antipathy for William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, this was probably the last film I expected to fall in love with... yet here I am, and I can't think about "Your Song" without getting misty-eyed. It's the most unabashedly romantic movie to come out of Hollywood in God knows how long, plus it's also a rip-roaringly good musical, PLUS it's incredible eye candy, PLUS it's a two-hour-plus cinematic orgasm. Sure, I have some quibbles about the film (especially the second half and John Leguizamo's odd choice of accent), but the cumulative effect of Baz Luhrmann's stark-raving-mad ode to truth, beauty, freedom but above all love is such that any complaints I have are irrelevant. I can't think of the last Hollywood movie that had so many moments that made me want to jump up and down with glee and go hug strangers on the street. (In particular, the rooftop duet made me drop a golden brick into my trousers. In all honesty, I started bouncing up and down on my bed so hard that I scared my cat. No shit.) If what I'm saying makes no rational sense, and if I'm rambling, you'll have to excuse me -- I'm in love with this film.

Grade: A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home