Thursday, February 21, 2002

Gosford Park (2001)

Well. This type of "Masterpiece Theater"-ready cinema has always been a bit of a blind spot for me. It's all stunningly well-acted by a dream-cast ensemble, and it's magnificently directed by Altman (who I'd written off as pretty much finished after the disaster area that was Dr. T and the Women). It entertains like a marvel in short spurts; problem is, it's two-and-a-half hours long and feels it, especially in the fairly interminable section after Michael Gambon's been offed. But really, I'm being way too hard on it. It really is a smashing good time and it's the best thing (perhaps the only good thing) Altman's done since Short Cuts. Make no mistake, though -- it's Altman in a minor key, and it's certainly not terribly Oscar-worthy (except, of course, for the divine Helen Mirren). I enjoyed the heck out of it, but after all the critical raves and awards, I can't help but feel let down. I would like to say, though, that it's nice to FINALLY see Emily Watson and Kelly MacDonald in a film that doesn't suck wind.

Grade: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home